Thursday 17 November 2016

For the love of storytelling...

I have loved storytelling for as long as I can remember, and yet it took me 19 years to really realise this. Like most people my age, I am at this point in my life when I am trying to figure out what to do next, where I want to go and even who I am. Personally, I am in a little different situation than most as I am being treated for the debilitating illness that is lyme disease (click here to read more about that). However, despite this I am still trying to figure out 'my life' so to speak. I have found that the best way to go about this is simply to start looking into what I enjoy, what makes me happy and what doesn't. 
It was through this attempted exploration that I came to the realisation that I love storytelling in all it's many forms. When I was young, I was obsessed with creating stories and acting them out. I would create scripts and detailed characters and then act them out with my toys, through my dolls and even my playmobil. I then began writing stories in form of books. Again, I created these detailed storylines and characters who I had imaged right down to their favourite colour. I loved it! When I wasn't creating and writing these stories, I was acting them out or reading about them. 

Reading is one of the forms of storytelling that I have held close to me for my entire life. I am a complete bookworm and alot of my childhood was spent with my head stuck in a book. I have always been aware of my love of reading, but it wasn't until recently that I linked this to a broader spectrum of loving storytelling. 

In the more recent years, I have also discovered my love for videography and photography. I am still trying to better myself in these areas and improve my skills but I am really enjoying exploring these. Again, it wasn't until recently, that I discovered that these too are held in the spectrum of storytelling. 

Once I made this realisation, it became clear to me that a rather substantial amount of hobbies and interests that I have, related back to storytelling. Now it may seem a little strange that I dedicated an entire post to this discovery, but to me this was a big deal and is definitely something I will consider when deciding what I want to do next in my life. So, like all important things in my life, I decided to blog about it! Maybe it will encourage somebody else in someway, or maybe it was just helpful to me. 

Thanks for reading,

Holly Xx


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger templates by pipdig