Thursday 26 January 2017

Quotes that help me deal with Chronic Illness.


Chronic illness is known to be illness lasting 3 months or longer. For many, having something as simple as a common cold can take a toll on them, affecting their entire week. So you can only imagine how chronic illness lasting over 3 months, for many years or even their lifetime, can take such a toll on someone. It becomes much more than the physical pain and struggles, although trust me they're no walk in the park, but it becomes very mentally challenging too. 

You're faced with the frustration of your body not healing itself. Then the frustration of doctors being unable to heal you. Then the frustration of the illness stealing your life from you. The list of frustrations and mental struggles goes on for miles, alongside with the fact that anxiety, depression e.t.c is often a symptom of chronic illness too.




As somebody who has been suffering from a chronic illness, Lyme disease, for the last 20/21 months, I understand just how hard you can be affected mentally as well as physically. Therefore, I have compiled some of my favourite quotes that I like to look at when I need a little encouragement or reminding that it's not the end of the world....

(I found all of these on Pinterest by the way!)


1. Let it go.
Chronic illness isn't something that can be fixed overnight. Unfortunately, you don't get a say as to when you can feel better. I am sure if you did, you would have chosen a long time ago. You can't change when you get sick and when you heal, so let it go. Personally, I can sometimes become a bit of a control freak. A lesson that my illness has taught me is to let go of things you can't control. Instead focus on things you can control, focus on the positive things you can do to improve your life. Take a deep breath and let go of the uncontrollable. 


2. Take baby steps.
A step, no matter how small, is still a step in the right direction. I am often quite harsh on myself as to how much I have achieved and can be quite impatient when I don't see immediate results. Chronic illness might not let you take big steps in your goals, but small steps can lead to big results. Be patient and kind to yourself. You're doing great.


3. Take it a day at a time. 
I love planning things. I love having a busy planner and goals to work towards. With chronic illness, you don't know how you will feel this afternoon, let alone tomorrow or next week. It's times like this that it's okay just to focus on the next 24 hours, or even just the next hour. What can you do today to get you where you want to be? Maybe that's to go for a walk, or see a friend or even just take a shower. Don't compare your achievements to others. Big or small, you still achieved it and you deserve to feel proud of that. 


4. Have a sense of humour. 
Chronic illness sucks. There is no way of making it sounds glamorous or even remotely pleasant. It isn't. Sometimes you just have to have a sense of humour and laugh about it. Life is too short to be grumpy and sad, no matter how many reasons life gives you. Laughter is the best medicine, so take a deep breath, relax and have a little giggle. 


5. You are so much more than your current circumstance.
This is probably the BIGGEST and more important lesson I have learnt through having a chronic illness. You are so so SO much more than your current situation. You are not defined by what life throws at you. You are defined by how you react. You are defined by how you dug deep inside and found a strength and courage you didn't know existed. You are defined by your determination to keep going and do it with a smile on your face. You are absolutely amazing and you're doing just fine. 

So there we have 5 of my favourite quotes that I use to help me get through Chronic illness. I have a tonne more that I would love to share so let me know if you would be interested in another post of similar nature. 

If you are facing a Chronic Illness then I just want to let you know that you're doing so good and I am super proud of you. 

Thanks for reading,

Holly Xx



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger templates by pipdig